Last Day: first step of Steampunk aviator helmet

It's the last day of Thing-a-day, and my Thing today is my first draft of an aviator helmet:

I used the basic three piece coif pattern by Cynthia Virtue at http://www.virtue.to/articles/coif.html and altered it to fit my husband David's head.  I made the helmet from  some nice soft faux leather I had lying around the place.

It needs to be tweaked a bit, but I'm really happy with it and with the fabric!  When I get the basic shape right, I'll add d rings for goggles, some straps and maybe some random brass studs :)  More brass = more steampunk!

I'd like to thank the good folks at Thing-a-day for opening up the Thing to so many people this year, and to my friend Doug for telling me about it -- it's been a really wonderful experience doing my own Things and reading about, looking at and listening to the Things of others.

Comments

Popular Posts